In fact, it's all over the place - men and women proudly wearing their letters on bags, tanks, backpacks, wherever however. It's there; it's everywhere.
Freshmen fall semester, I opted out of rushing because I didn't think I was "good enough."
Good enough to me meant that I wasn't pretty enough, skinny enough, popular enough, or wealthy enough to be apart of greek life.
That was my attitude well into spring semester.
I would notice the girls on campus who were thin, a la mode, and laughing candidly with their "sisters" and immediately it would fortify my belief that I didn't belong. (Not belonging was also a feeling I struggled with freshman year.) Feeling defeated, I would walk away pretending not to care that I felt this way. But I was angry. I directed my anger at all these beautiful girls who represented these sororities. However, I was quick to realize that the only person I should be angry at is myself for thinking this poorly of myself.
You don't have to be greek to be beautiful.
That was a horse pill I had trouble swallowing. But when I got it down, I felt an immediate relief. I can't believe that I spent an entire school year feeling so low of myself.
Does this mean that I'll be rushing this fall? Absolutely not. My intentions would be to gain popularity, status, and simply just be able to wear the letters. That's not what greek life should be about, and I do not want to participate if my heart is not pure.
I'm happy being just another girl on campus, though I can't proudly wear any letters, I vow that this school year, I will proudly gleam in confidence wearing my own skin.
- mittens.