November 29, 2012

College Essay - Love and Success


“Love is just a good memory. Successful and powerful people don’t make decisions based on emotion but on logic and determination. Are you the weak or the strong? Are you ordinary or extraordinary? Or are you just one of those who lives their life based on a daily emotion instead of on a long term and focused journey?”
- A recent text from my dad.
To me, love is power; love is success; love is logical; love takes determination; love can be weak and love can be strong; love is extraordinary; and love is life. However, my father understands life as a bank building, commercialistic race. Those on top of the ladder have the numbers to show for it. As bitter as I made that sound, it really just means he’s a hard working and determined man who wants to provide above and beyond his family’s expectations and needs. He wants to build a name for himself, suppress his childhood memories, and outshine it with his adulthood and business success. He has dreams he longs to achieve and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.
My father began his business when I was young. As I got older, the firm slowly became more successful. But more success led to less of dad around. Absent. That is how I would sum up my dad’s attendance to my orchestra concerts, press conferences, award ceremonies, and more. I appreciate him for what he does for the family, but I wish he’d see that it isn’t more money that I need– it’s more of him that I need. Financial security and wealth are his goals and what he bases success off of.
Be that as it may, those are his dreams, not mine. That is the borderline to my father and me. There is this DMZ of vast misunderstanding and differences. I choose to live my life in happiness and love, and let wealth come second. The difference between my father and I is that I will never let the desire of wealth change me. I will never let it distract me from my responsibility to love.
Why I write about love and money is not to ramble on about my sinister feelings for my dad’s business or his life choices, but to remind myself how my father has influenced me. He’s taught me, indirectly, how to not lose myself in my own success, but instead how to balance family and work, when it comes my time to. In addition, my rebellion against him has given me the power to love unconditionally. Unlike my father, I am accepting towards everyone despite flaws and mistakes. My father’s influence has helped me define and draw the boundaries between the two things I choose to chase heavily in my life: success and love. School is important to me. I put school before a romance, but I don’t put it before my family. My family is first, and I wish my father thought the same.
So dad, the answer is this: I can be successful, powerful, logical, determined, strong, and extraordinary – along with loving.